ABOUT EUCLID TECHLABS > DR. PAUL SCHOESSOW | VP, SCIENTIFIC COMPUTING
Paul Schoessow received his PhD in Experimental High Energy Physics in 1983 at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He was with the High Energy Physics Division at Argonne National Laboratory from 1983-2000, working on the Argonne Wakefield Accelerator, Minos, and the Collider Detector at Fermilab. From 2000-2001 he was Senior Software Engineer at ETEC Systems Interconnect Products Group, Tucson, AZ, from 2002-2004 he was a Senior Scientist at Electro Magnetic Applications in Lakewood, CO, and from 2004-2006 he was a Principal Scientist at TechX Inc., Boulder,CO.
His main research activities have included numerical simulations of beam and laser-driven dielectric accelerating structures, wakefield acceleration experiments, accelerator controls and instrumentation, nonlinear effects in dielectric devices, applications of accelerator-based studies to instrumentation for cosmic ray physics and electromagnetic scattering problems for the Global Positioning System. He has also been involved in active microwave media based acceleration, novel rf sources, and microwave measurement techniques. His current interests include electromagnetic and N-body simulations on novel computing architectures (graphical processing units, parallella multicore single board computer.)
Principal Journal Publications:
- "High power terahertz radiation source based on electron beam wakefields", Sergey Antipov, Chunguang Jing, Paul Schoessow, Alexei Kanareykin, Vitaly Yakimenko, Alexander Zholents, and Wei Gai, Review of Scientific Instruments 84 (2), http://link.aip.org/link/doi/10.1063/1.4790432
- "Photoinduced spin polarization and microwave technology", Sergey Antipov, Oleg Poluektov, Paul Schoessow, Alexei Kanareykin, Chunguang Jing, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A700, 1 February 2013, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nima.2012.10.016
- "Experimental Observation of Energy Modulation in Electron Beams Passing through Terahertz Dielectric Wakefield Structures", S. Antipov, C. Jing, M. Fedurin, W. Gai, A. Kanareykin, K. Kusche, P. Schoessow, V. Yakimenko, and A. Zholents, Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 144801 (2012), doi: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.108.144801
- "Formation of a novel shaped bunch to enhance transformer ratio in collinear wakefield accelerators", B. Jiang, C. Jing, P. Schoessow, J. Power, and W. Gai. Phys. Rev. ST Accel. Beams 15, 011301, 2012
- "Experimental Demonstration of Wakefield Acceleration in a Tunable Dielectric Loaded Accelerating Structure", C. Jing, A. Kanareykin, J. G. Power, M. Conde, W. Liu, S. Antipov, P. Schoessow, and W. Gai, Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 164802 (2011), DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.106.164802.
- "Reversed Cherenkov-Transition Radiation by a Charge Crossing a Left-Handed Medium Boundary", Sergey N. Galyamin, Andrey V. Tyukhtin, Alexey Kanareykin, and Paul Schoessow Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 194802 (2009)
- "Development of a dual-layered dielectric-loaded accelerating structure", Chunguang Jing, (Euclid Techlabs, Solon) , Alexei Kanareykin, (Euclid Techlabs, Solon) , Sergey Kazakov, (KEK, Tsukuba) , Wanming Liu, (Argonne) , Elizaveta Nenasheva, (Ceramics Co., St. Petersburg) , Paul Schoessow, (Euclid Techlabs, Solon) , Wei Gai, (Argonne) . 2008. 8pp. Published in Nucl.Instrum.Meth.A594:132-139,2008.
- "The Magnetized steel and scintillator calorimeters of the MINOS experiment", By MINOS Collaboration (D.G. Michael et al.). FERMILAB-PUB-08-126, May 2008. (Received Nov 1, 2008). 87pp. Published in Nucl.Instrum.Meth.A596:190-228,2008.
- "Observation of enhanced transformer ratio in collinear wakefield acceleration", C. Jing, A. Kanareykin, P. Schoessow, (Euclid Techlabs, Solon) , John Gorham Power, M. Conde, Z. Yusof, W. Gai, (Argonne) . 2007. (Received 2007). 4pp. Published in Phys.Rev.Lett.98:144801,2007.
- "Wakefields generated by electron beams passing through a waveguide loaded with a slightly dispersive active medium", Andrey Tyukhtin, (St. Petersburg State U.) , Alexei Kanareykin, Paul Schoessow, (Euclid Techlabs, Solon). 2007. (Received 2007). 6pp. Published in Phys.Rev.ST Accel.Beams 10:051302,2007.
- "Dipole-mode wakefields in dielectric-loaded rectangular waveguide accelerating structures", C.G. Jing, W.M. Liu, L.L. Xiao, W. Gai, P. Schoessow, (Argonne) , T. Wong, (IIT, Chicago) . 2003. 6pp. Published in Phys.Rev.E68:016502,2003.
- "Observation of the Askaryan effect: Coherent microwave Cherenkov emission from charge asymmetry in high-energy particle cascades", David Saltzberg, (UCLA) , Peter Gorham, (Caltech, JPL) , Dieter Walz, Clive Field, Richard Iverson, Allen Odian, (SLAC) , George Resch, (Caltech, JPL) , Paul Schoessow, (Argonne) , Dawn Williams, (UCLA) . SLAC-PUB-8768, Oct 2000. 10pp. Published in Phys.Rev.Lett.86:2802-2805,2001.
- "Radio frequency measurements of coherent transition and Cherenkov radiation: Implications for high-energy neutrino detection", Peter Gorham, (Caltech, JPL) , David Saltzberg, (UCLA) , Paul Schoessow, Wei Gai, John Gorham Power, Richard Konecny, M.E. Conde, (Argonne) . Apr 2000. 32pp. Published in Phys.Rev.E62:8590-8605,2000.
- "Design and simulation of a high frequency high power RF extraction device using a dielectric loaded waveguide", Wei Gai, Paul Schoessow, (Argonne) . Apr 2000. 8pp. Published in Nucl.Instrum.Meth.A459:1-5,2001.
- "Measurements of the longitudinal wake fields in a multimode, dielectric wake field accelerator driven by a train of electron bunches", John Gorham Power, M.E. Conde, W. Gai, R. Konecny, P. Schoessow, (Argonne) , A.D. Kanareykin, (State Electrotech. U.) . 2000. 7pp. Published in Phys.Rev.ST Accel.Beams 3:101302,2000.
- "Wake field excitation in multimode structures by a train of electron bunches", John Gorham Power, Wei Gai, Paul Schoessow, (Argonne) . ANL-HEP-PR-98-115, ANL-HEP-R-99-90, Jul 1999. 13pp. Published in Phys.Rev.E60:6061-6067,1999.
- "High power radio frequency generation by relativistic beams in dielectric structures", P. Schoessow, M. E. Conde, W. Gai, R. Konecny, J. Power, and J. Simpson JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSICS VOLUME 84, NUMBER 2 15 JULY 1998 p 663
- "A High charge and short pulse RF photocathode gun for wake field acceleration", W. Gai, X. Li, M. Conde, John Gorham Power, P. Schoessow, (Argonne) . ANL-HEP-PR-97-76, Sep 1997. 16pp. Published in Nucl.Instrum.Meth.A410:431-436,1998.
- "Generation and acceleration of high charge short electron bunches", M.E. Conde, W. Gai, R. Konecny, X. Li, John Gorham Power, P. Schoessow, (Argonne) , N. Barov, (UCLA) . FPRINT-98-11, (Received May 1998). 23pp. Published in Phys.Rev.ST Accel.Beams 1:041302,1998.
- "Electromagnetic wake fields and beam stability in slab-symmetric dielectric structures", A. Tremaine, J. Rosenzweig, (UCLA) , P. Schoessow, (Argonne) . 1997. Published in Phys.Rev.E56:7204-7216,1997.
- "Measurement of deflection mode dampening in an accelerating structure", E. Chojnacki, W. Gai, C. Ho, R. Konecny, S. Mitingwa, J. Norem, M. Rosing, P. Schoessow, J. Simpson, (Argonne) . ANL-HEP-PR-90-75, Aug 1990. 16pp. Published in J.Appl.Phys.69:6257-6260,1991.
- "Experimental Studies of Plasma Wake Field Acceleration and Focusing", J.B. Rosenzweig, B. Cole, C. Ho, W. Gai, R. Konecny, S. Mtingwa, J. Norem, M. Rosing, P. Schoessow, J. Simpson, (Argonne) . FERMILAB-CONF-89-159, ANL-HEP-CP-89-75, Jul 1989. 49pp. Submitted to the Proceedings of the ITCP Spring College on Plasma Physics, Trieste, Italy, May 22-26, 1989. Published in Phys.Scripta T30:110-121,1990.
- "Demonstration of electron beam self-focusing in plasma wake fields", J. B. Rosenzweig, P. Schoessow, B. Cole, C. Ho, W. Gai, R. Konecny, S. Mtingwa, J. Norem, M. Rosing, and J. Simpson Phys. Fluids B 2 1376 (1990)
- "Experimental Measurement Of Nonlinear Plasma Wake Fields", J.B. Rosenzweig, P. Schoessow, B. Cole, W. Gai, R. Konecny, J. Norem, J. Simpson, (Argonne) . ANL-HEP-PR-88-43, Aug 1988. 15pp. Published in Phys.Rev.A39:1586-1589,1989.
- "Experimental Demonstration Of Wake Field Effects In Dielectric Structures", W. Gai, P. Schoessow, (Argonne) , B. Cole, (Argonne & Wisconsin U., Madison) , R. Konecny, J. Norem, J. Rosenzweig, J. Simpson, (Argonne) . ANL-HEP-PR-88-36, Aug 1988. 11pp. Published in Phys.Rev.Lett.61:2756-2758,1988.
- "Direct Measurement Of Beam Induced Fields In Accelerating Structures", H. Figueroa, W. Gai, R. Konecny, J. Norem, A. Ruggiero, P. Schoessow, J. Simpson, (Argonne) . ANL-HEP-PR-88-04, May 1988. (Received Mar 1988). 17pp. Published in Phys.Rev.Lett.60:2144-2147,1988.
- "Experimental Observation Of Plasma Wake Field Acceleration", J.B. Rosenzweig, D.B. Cline, B. Cole, (Wisconsin U., Madison) , H. Figueroa, W. Gai, R. Konecny, J. Norem, P. Schoessow, J. Simpson, (Argonne) . ANL-HEP-PR-88-08, Mar 1988. 16pp. Published in Phys.Rev.Lett.61:98-101,1988.